Inspiring students in meeting their potential for self-fulfillment and community involvement.
The Yampa Valley High School serves students who are seeking an alternative learning environment that can better meet their personal and educational goals. Our school facilitates a supportive learning community that respects all individuals and their overall well-being. Critical thinking, collaboration and self-direction are the foundations of YVHS’s academic system and serve to provide our students with the skills and abilities that will promote a successful and happy life.
YVHS is an accredited public school in the Steamboat Springs School District. There is no cost for attendance. Any high school aged student living in Routt county is encouraged to apply for admission.
- Accredited public school in the Steamboat Springs School District
- SSSD School of Choice with Admissions Process
- Grades 9-12
- Small student-staff ratio 7:1
- Graduation diploma recognized by all Colleges and Universities
- Traditional grading scale with GPA
- Family atmosphere fostering a supportive learning environment
- Personalized Learning Plans with flexible scheduling per individual
- Emphasis on Post Secondary Career Readiness
- CMC Concurrent Enrollment – both high school and college credit
- Students can take classes at SSHS for credit at YVHS
- Students can participate in all extracurricular activities offered at SSHS
- Vocational and Career and Technical Education internship/apprentice opportunities
- Outdoor programming including Friday afternoon hikes and overnight field trips
- Therapeutic supports available
Math and Science Teacher
English Language Arts and Social Studies Teacher
Rachel is new to both Steamboat Springs and YVHS, and feels lucky to call both “home.” She is passionate about reading, writing, travel and world cultures, and is excited to be teaching English Language Arts and Social Studies at YVHS. Rachel has been teaching English for over ten years, both in the United States, and abroad in various school settings, including private, public and charter schools. She finds joy in helping students in their learning, and observing their “lightbulb” moments.
Principal and Teacher
Karla has returned to YVHS as Principal after helping to launch the school as the first lead teacher in 2006 – 2008. Her commitment to learning opportunities that work for individual student needs has compelled her to work in a variety of non-traditional educational settings in additional to YVHS including an environmental studies magnet school, day treatment program, and online schools. Karla embraces opportunities to get outside with students as she does with her family and friends. She has enjoyed living in Routt County since 2003.
Brian has been working in various roles in education since the late 90’s. Starting as a psychology and sociology teacher in Wyoming, he earned his Master’s in counseling from Colorado State University in 2009. Since then he has worked as a counselor at alternative schools in Greeley and Denver. Brian has a passion for traveling and has spent a significant amount of time in New Zealand, Antarctica, South America, Honduras, Nepal and the Republic of Georgia. In his last role, he supervised a team of counselors in Denver Public Schools and is excited to be working directly with students and families at Yampa Valley High School. Brian has worked as a wilderness guide during the summers throughout his career and now works as a boatman in the Grand Canyon every July. During his free time he loves to kayak, backcountry ski and go on adventures with his wife!